Magical Mystery tree peony
Magical Mystery tree peony

Magical Mystery tree peony

$ 125.00

Notable characteristics: These plants are grown from seed, collected from various cultivars of Chinese, Japanese and American tree peonies. As a result, colors and flower form will vary. No two plants are alike.This item cannot be selected by color. All are beautiful! 

The photo shows a selection of the flower possibilities. These plants are sold at a reduced price over named variety tree peonies.  Deer resistant. Herbicide, pesticide, and fungicide free. Grown in Connecticut.

These are flowering age specimens for instant impact in any garden. Plant a tree peony hedge!

These plants are grown from open pollinated seeds collected from various cultivars of tree peonies growing in our display garden. We plant dozens of these seedlings every year, but find ourselves with too many seedlings and too few nursery beds.

Our tree peony collection consists of over 350 distinct cultivars of Chinese, Japanese and American tree peonies, so our seeds are drawn from a quite a diverse gene pool, thanks to our promiscuous pollinators.

Mother plants of these seedlings include exceptional Gansu rockii tree peonies varieties such as: Pink Lotus, Purple Butterfly in the Wind, Boundless Bright Sky, Phoenix Hairpin, & Snow Lotus. We have been collecting and sowing seed from these tree peonies for about fifteen years. About 60% of the seedlings are lotus form flowers in either white, pink, or purple. All are vigorous and display the distinctive dark maroon rockii flares at the base of the petals. The other 40% are anemone or double form. Many of these tend to be multicolored and are quite spectacular.

Growth habit and size at maturity: Plants will grow on average to 4 to 4.5 ft. tall and 3-4 ft. wide. Colors can be white, pink, lavender, red, or purple; the gene pool on these seeds is large and the results can be surprising.

Flower form and size: Most will bloom as semi-double, though you have some double forms. Size range of 7-10".

Zone Hardiness: Tree peonies will grow in USDA Zones 4-9.

Plant size: These plants are seed grown, with strong woody stems and side branching. These are 5-6 yr. old are flowering age plants which will create an instant statement in the garden. The 3 yr. old size will likely bloom in 1 more season.

When we ship:  Reserve for FALL 2019 shipping to all USDA zone 4-9. 

We have some of these potted for pick up this spring if you live nearby.

We operate like a CSA (community supported agriculture) where payment in received in advance of the harvest, and the produce is reserved for the customer. Our produce is our nursery stock, which can only be harvested in the fall, when the current season's growth is complete.

About us: Cricket Hill Garden is a family owned and operated nursery founded in 1989 and based in Connecticut. We propagate and grow the vast majority of the plants we sell. Most garden centers and nurseries do the opposite of this, 'buying in' and reselling most plants they offer. Growing our own stock allows us to offer the rare and unusual plants we sell as well as provide the highest quality plants to the discerning gardener. We do not use synthetic herbicides, pesticides or fungicides in our nursery production.


!-- Google Code for Remarketing Tag -->