Cricket Hill Garden
Magical Mystery tree peony
Sign up with the "Notify me when available" button to be emailed when this plant is available for purchase.
Notable characteristics: These plants are grown from seed, collected from excellent cultivars of Chinese and Japanese tree peonies. As a result, colors and flower form will vary. No two plants are alike. This item cannot be selected by color. All are beautiful!
The photos show a selection of the flower possibilities. These plants are sold at a reduced price over named variety tree peonies.
Deer resistant. Herbicide, pesticide, and fungicide free. Grown in Connecticut.
These are flowering age specimens for instant impact in any garden. Plant a tree peony hedge!
These plants are grown from open pollinated seeds collected from various cultivars of tree peonies, both Chinese and Japanese. Dozens of these seedlings every year, but find ourselves with too many seedlings and too few nursery beds.
Our tree peony collection consists of over 350 distinct cultivars of Chinese, Japanese and American tree peonies, so our seeds are drawn from a quite a diverse gene pool, thanks to our promiscuous pollinators.
Mother plants of these seedlings include exceptional Gansu rockii tree peonies varieties such as: Pink Lotus, Purple Butterfly in the Wind, Boundless Bright Sky, Phoenix Hairpin, & Snow Lotus. We have been collecting and sowing seed from these tree peonies for about fifteen years. About 60% of the seedlings are lotus form flowers in either white, pink, or purple. All are vigorous and most of them display the distinctive dark maroon rockii flares at the base of the petals. The other 40% are anemone or double form. Many of these tend to be multicolored and are quite spectacular.
Growth habit and size at maturity: Plants will grow on average to 4 to 4.5 ft. tall and 3-4 ft. wide. Colors can be white, pink, lavender, red, or purple; the gene pool on these seeds is large and the results can be surprising.
Flower form and size: Most will bloom as semi-double, though you have some double forms. Size range of 7-9".
Zone Hardiness: Tree peonies will grow in USDA Zones 4-9.
Plant size: These plants vary in size depending on age. They have strong woody stems and side branching. The 4yr. old size and older are all flowering age plants which will create an instant statement in the garden.